Thursday is Thanksgiving and that sound you just heard was millions of people realizing they haven’t started anything yet and WHY ARE THERE NO CRISPY FRENCH ONIONS? WE CAN’T HAVE THANKSGIVING WITHOUT GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE AND WE CAN’T HAVE GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE WITHOUT CRISPY FRENCH ONIONS! DAMN YOU, COVID AND YOUR ‘SUPPLY CHAIN ISSUES!’
Sorry. Minor freak out. We’re all good now.
Thanksgiving is Thursday. If you are panicking slightly about getting everything done in time, Huff Post has a few Thanksgiving cooking hacks you might try out. And these are chef-approved, to boot, so it’s not like these are from some rando on TikTok. Here’s a select few ideas.
- Don’t peel potatoes. Boil with the skin on, and then dump them in an ice bath. Apparently, the skins slide right off.
- Not feeding a lot? Just go for turkey breast instead of the whole turkey.
- Preheat the roasting pans. It speeds up cooking time and is good for roasting veggies.
- Make gravy in a blender. Just remember to put the top on.
- Use store-bought ingredients to your advantage. The example used is people making their own cream of mushroom soup for green bean casserole (I’M FINE.). Is that a thing that normal people do, or is it one of those chef things that they think normal people do, but we just buy the cans?