I thought millennial slander on the internet was behind us, but apparently… I was wrong.
One of the latest trends I have been seeing on my Tik Tok “For You” page is Gen Z ranking millennial things that they find “cheugy”.
For those of you who are unfamiliar, the word “cheugy“ is a slang word describing something that is outdated, uncool or could be considered “basic”. Hallie Cain shared this slang term on Tik Tok... then other Gen-Z’s took it and ran with it.
According to Today, you might be a “cheug” if you have any of these qualities:
- You have Herbal Essence shampoo in your shower
- You do anything associated with “#GirlBoss energy”
- Your social media is fully of cheesy captions such as “I did a thing” after dying/cutting your hair or “thank u, next”… (Sorry Ari fans)
- You’re a “Disney adult” (if you don’t know what this is, I recommend watching Kurtis Conner’s video about it)
- You wear jean jackets
- You listen to the”Garden State” movie soundtrack
- Graphic tees are part of your wardrobe
- Decorative wooden signs are hanging on the walls in your home (Bonus points if they’re about wine or coffee or say something along the lines of “Live, laugh, love”)
- You wear “The Office” or “Friends” merch
- This one is mainly for the men… but if you use Axe body spray, chances are you’re cheugy.
While I do agree that most of these things are not necessarily with the trends.. who cares? I fall under the “Gen-Z” category and I still love jean jackets and “Friends”.
Don’t feel like you have to change your style because of some random people on the internet. If anything, embrace the cheug.