Olivia Rodrigo broke MTV Sunday night during the 2021 MTV VMAs. Literally.
Well, maybe not literally. We assume the final shot of her performance of “good 4 u” was a special effect, as she threw the mic into the camera to “break” it.
Though, as someone who has used cameras before, those lenses are ridiculously easy to break, so I give the odds at 50-50 of her actually breaking MTV.
Doja Cat hosted the show and also had an incredible performance. Actually, the night was full of awesome on-stage moments. We’ll put a few under the winner list.
- Video of the Year: Lil Nas X, “Montero (Call Me By Your Name)”
- Artist of the Year: Justin Bieber
- Song of the Year: Olivia Rodrigo, “Drivers License”
- Best New Artist: Olivia Rodrigo
- Group of the Year: BTS
- Best Pop Video: Justin Bieber Featuring Daniel Caesar and Giveon, “Peaches”
- Best Hip-Hop Video: Travis Scott, Young Thug and M.I.A., “Franchise”
- Best R&B Video: Silk Sonic (Bruno Mars & Anderon .Paak), “Leave the Door Open”
- Best Rock Video: John Mayer, “Last Train Home”
- Best Alternative Video: Machine Gun Kelly and Blackbear, “My Ex’s Best Friend”
- Best Collaboration: Doja Cat and SZA, “Kiss Me More”
- Best Video for Good: Billie Eilish, “Your Power”
That last one was a new category this year. The idea is to recognize positive messaging. Which is ironic, since Billie apparently threw some shade at Jennifer Lopez.
The Foo Fighters also won the U.S. Global Icon Award, with Dave Grohl using the acceptance speech to recognize MTV’s 40 years. Or making fun of the last 25 not really having much to do with music. Either or.
— Video Music Awards (@vmas) September 13, 2021
As for the performances: