We already kind of knew this, but it’s nice to have confirmation.
A food expert has lifted the lid on what foods you can still dig into after the “best by” date. The results may shock you.
Sorry. Went full Buzzfeed there.
- Milk. It’s most likely still good up to a week after what it says on the carton.
- Eggs. Usually still good weeks after the date on the carton. If in doubt, put it an egg in water. If it floats, throw them out.
- Pasta. Good for up to two years after the “best by.”
- Cheese. Specifically hard cheeses, like cheddar. Just slice off any mold and it’s still good to go. If you have a soft cheese, say brie, then pay attention to the date.
- Dry ingredients, like flour, sugar, salt, pepper, baking soda. Don’t get them wet and they should be golden for a long time.
- Bagged salad. If it looks suspect, probably toss it. Otherwise, go for it!
- Canned food. Like pasta, it can last for a long time past the “best by,” especially soups and vegetables. Canned Spam, apparently lasts for up to five years afterwards. Which begs the question, WHAT THE HELL IS IN SPAM, ANYWAY?